Sprocket-nose bar maintenance:
Some Do's & Don'ts:
1. Do not use the bar as a prying tool. If you get hung up, wedge it out or cut it out with another saw.
2. Do not use the sprocket area of the bar tip when limbing. If the limb pinches the bar, the nose may be burned. This is identified by blue spots in the damaged area, indicative of a weakened nose section.
3. Do keep the tension tight.
4. Do grease regularly. Ideally, at each gas tank refill and always at day's end to prevent rusting.
5. Do check the bar for square rails, which you want, and excessive groove wear, which you don't want.
6. Do check nose sprockets for broken teeth tips and replace the sprocket if broken.